Hit and Run Accident Compensation

Published on May 18th, 2019

I sustained severe injuries in a hit and run accident. The at-fault driver fled the scene and was never identified. Is there any way to get my medical expenses compensated?

Answer: almost certainly yes.

Most motor vehicle drivers in the state of Illinois carry uninsured motorist coverage on their automobile insurance policies. This coverage protects drivers in the event that they are injured by motorists with no insurance. This includes Cook and Lake County individuals who are harmed in hit and run accidents.

An uninsured motorist (or UM) claim is presented by an injured party as a contract claim against their own automobile insurer. The claim seeks benefits for medical expenses, pain and suffering, loss of normal life, disfigurement, and disability damages caused by an uninsured motorist. The total potential recovery in these claims is typically determined by the amount of UM coverage you have purchased from your insurer.

UM claims are often decided by a panel of three arbitrators. One arbitrator is selected by you. Another arbitrator is selected by your insurance company. The final (or neutral) arbitrator is agreed upon by each side. The panel will listen to each side present evidence, just as would occur at a jury trial. A majority decision of the arbitration panel will determine liability and compensation.

UM claims are a very valuable source of recovery for those injured by an uninsured or unidentified motorist. Contact Ryan, Ryan & Viglione today at (847) 416-1989 to discuss your UM claim and begin your road to recovery!

Back to News

Injured In An Accident?

I have read the disclaimer. Privacy Policy


209 West Madison Street

Waukegan, IL 60085



(847) 244-1436

Monday-Friday 8am-5pm